Opinion: EDM Kenya Producers List 2014
We are approaching the year’s end, the year saw our birth of the EDM.co.ke website, its consistent growth in readership numbers through the months that we have been online. Over this short I have met a number of magnificent EDM producers, artists, deejays and promoters in our EDM scene and have experienced Kenyan Electronic Dance Music like i hadn’t before with the release of better quality music and an increase in producers of our beloved choice of music. For that, I salute our editor Hezzy for having come up with this platform to promote local artists.
Without further a-do, I present to you my personal top 10 favorites of 2014.
Do note that this is my personal opinion and does not reflect the views of EDM.co.ke as a whole and the list is NOT ranked in any particular order.
1. Mr. Jake – According to his bio, he is a monkey from outer space and other than that not much information about him is available of his profiles. I first learnt of Mr. Jake on this very blog and I fell in love with his moombahton style instantly. It is chilled out yet very exciting at the same time, he makes no noise just music. If you haven’t listened to his track “The Way You Love Me” you are undeniably missing out on an amazing listening experience.
2. Muroe – Had to have this guy in my list especially after i heard the justice he did on his remix of Afrojack’s Take over Control. If you go through his Soundcloud account, rest assured you’ll come across awesome Africanised gems, both original work and remixes.
3. Saint Evo the Myth – He is that guy from Celsius Degrees. In addition to his awesome deep equitorial house tracks, he is also the producer of the “Talking Drums Podcast” that is played in the Sentinent Sound Sessions. He is doing a very good job representing the African sound in a heavily westernized scene.
4. Factory Djs – Trevor and Paul, the two dudes that make up this group have been in the Kenyan EDM scene for a few years now and they have quite some achievements to brag about from collaborating with well known International producers to having their track featured in Blasterjaxx’ radio show (yes, they are that awesome) and headlining some of the biggest EDM events in the country. I think their accolades speak for them. Nuff said!
5. Wamae – This young fella has shown quite some production skill in his work and has alot of potential in being great! I met him once and I could tell he has a bright future (note; I am not claiming to be the Son of a carpenter or a Jew prophet). He killed it in his remix of Lectronica Circle’s song Sweet surrender. His collaboration with the guys who are next on my list, Terrestrial Symphony (Which was exclusively released on this blog), a liquid dubstep track got over 1000 views on YouTube in two days, which is an impressive feat i must say.
6. YokiHars – I like to refer to them as the fantastic four (you can’t see the fourth in the photo since he is invisible) of Kenyan EDM. If you don’t know who this edm producers are, you can get up to speed in an interview I had with them earlier in the year. With four brains working together, you expect outstanding upshots. They just released their EP, FemiYoki which has received awesome online support. Their most recent release, Break Out reached number 8 on Showtek’s Skink Radio. If you want a catchy tune, I recommend Silicon Valley by these remarkable guys.
7. Lectronica Circle – Hate them or love them, these duo deserves to be in my list. They are the first home-grown acts to release a track on national TV, Always Want You Around featuring Vanessa Vonroe. They later released Kenya which was released as part of the Kenya at 50 Celebration and was a huge track that underwent numerous remixes from various producers. They recently launched their record label, TrackSound, to release their music and other EDm music from other producers
8. Onimus – Khaled Ramirez is quite the talented young man. He is a genre-hopping producer who has done Chill and bass through to Electro and back to Tech house and not only limited to those. Onimus has several tracks and remixes under his name which are definitely worth a check in your playlist. He is also a member of production group 3’s A Crowd with Chelsea Van Carter and Brian Bett who is one half of the production duo 8-bit.
9. Dj Hex – Dj and Producer Jeff aka Dj Hex makes it on this list. I’ve seen him perform a few time, amazing track selection and performance skills. He recently has had some original tracks and remixes which in my opinion are pretty good. He is set to release his album later this year (later this year, this is already late!) which we should look forward to.
10. Chelsea Van Carter – I had to save the best for last. Chelsea is one remarkable lady. She is the second member of 3’s A Crowd on this list. I have to admit I don’t know a lot about her but a friend recommended her music to me and upon visiting her soundcloud page I was dazzled by her works. She checks out on my list!
Since the list can only be so long, these are other producers that didn’t make my top 10 list but should have been there and you should watch out for
1. Ma5haria – He should be in my top ten but unfortunately the ten had already taken their spaces. Ma5haria is batman (according to him). He is on the progressive Trance vibe, receiving support from the likes of Above and Beyond, W&W, Moguai and lots of other international acts.
2. Dj Fita – Yes, I had to take slot myself in here somewhere. It is weird to write about me though, as of course I will only sing praises of me. But I’ll tell you a little about me. I joined the scene late last year as a Dj, mid this year as a producer where I did a massive remix of Elani’s Kookoo. This track has received excellent support from the online community, whom I thank. I also made it in the top ten Kenyan Dj List. Boom!
3. Jed Kuria – He is a laid back guy in our little community. Graphic and tattoo artist Jed released three tracks recently. I really loved “Almost Human”. He is definitely someone you have to watch out for in 2015.
4. Vilov – AKA Steve Mbeche is also on my target list for people to watch out for. He is a young producer from Nairobi. Currently he is on the hardstyle vibe which I love, doing different is good.
There is my list. I’m sure some of you may not agree with my choices but the are this is mine. I’d urge you to give us your list in the comments section below and tell us whom you think ought to have been on this list but is missing. We welcome submissions for female producers seeing that there is only one in this list.
Latest posts by Fita (see all)
- 5 events where you can find House music this weekend - July 18, 2018
- Top 5 Songs Released This Week - June 29, 2018
- Heva Fund Has Signed a Ksh 90 Million Agreement - June 21, 2018